Easy and inexpensive activities your children will love!
Over the next few months we plan to share our favourite, quick and easy activities that all members of the family can enjoy getting involved in, and that will (hopefully!) keep your little ones stimulated and entertained!
Activity One: Paper plate dinosaurs 🦕
The first tip I have for any parents with lively toddlers is to have lots of arts and craft materials to hand. We created a craft box full of ribbon, stickers, paints, glue, card, paper and bubbles, all collected from a range of shops at minimal cost. It’s our go to on both rainy and sunny days.
Dinosaur Roar! By Paul and Henrietta Strickland is one of our favourite books to read with our lively toddler. Building her knowledge of different shapes and sizes, the book offers lots of inspiration for creative projects. Making dinosaurs from paper plates is just one that we’ve found to be a success.
Steps to creating your dinosaurs:
- Cut a paper plate in half
- One half will be used for the dinosaur’s body and from the other half you can cut out spikes to add to the dinosaur’s back.
- Cellotape the two together
- Cut out the head, feet and tail from any coloured materials you may have.
- Add a googly eye or draw one on
- Let your child get creative adding extra “features”
The fun doesn’t stop there. Once our pre-historic characters are created, they of course become central to imaginative play when re-reading Dinosaur Roar!
As you can see a variety of materials were used and it kept our little one engaged for half an hour too. We’ve also used them as thank you cards, which tends to keeps the grandparents happy as well!